Stand4Respect is a joint effort of the prevention team at the Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence (ICADV) and the ICADV Youth Council.
- We believe that teen dating abuse is preventable.
- We believe that teen dating abuse happens because our cultures and communities still accept the use of power, aggression, control, sexism and homophobia in relationships.
- We believe that by establishing shared standards of fair, respectful behavior in all of our relationships, we’ll reduce teen dating abuse and other forms of abuse in our communities.
- We believe that we are most successful when teens and adults work together to create relevant and cool prevention plans.
The ICADV Youth Council is a group of Indiana teens who are working to prevent teen dating abuse through the change of culture, not couples.
Traditional prevention efforts have focused on telling victims what to avoid. We believe that a change of culture is needed to improve how we treat each other in relationships. We work to make respectful relationship behavior the easy choice by:
- fostering conversations between adults and teens about healthy relationships
- encouraging other teens to take action
- voicing teens' points of view to adults who can make changes that impact teens